In addition to the Universal Infant Free School Meals initiative, the Government operates a free school meal system to support children from lower income families. Pupil Premium is a funding scheme which allows schools to access additional funding linked to the number of children claiming free school meals (FSM). Please see the qualifying criteria below.
It is, therefore, vital that parents who qualify for FSM apply even if they do not wish to take up the offer of a free school meal.
Qualifying Criteria for Free School Meals
You will qualify for FSM if you are in receipt of any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Employment & Support Allowance – Income related
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (NOT Contribution Based JSA)
- Child Tax Credit only (with a combined family income of less than £16,190 per annum as assessed by HM Revenues & Customs) Please note, anyone receiving Working Tax Credit, regardless of income, will NOT qualify for FSMs.
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
- National Asylum Seekers Support (NASS)
- Guaranteed Element of Pension Tax Credit
How to apply for Free School Meals
You can register and find out if your child is eligible by visiting the Citizens Portal at the following address:
The system is quick and simple to use and can be accessed via a smartphone or hand held device. If you qualify you will need to show the School Office the Application Summary either on your smartphone or print a copy.
Please register with the portal, even if you have applied and been unsuccessful in the past. Milton Keynes Council will then have your contact details and can inform you straight away if your eligibility changes.
All applications for free school meals will be treated in the strictest confidence.
To further support parents on low incomes, we would like to offer free school uniform items (2 polo shirts and 1 sweatshirt/cardigan) to all children who qualify for FSM (but not UIFSM).